|The name Warwick was chosen by the Leslie family. At the time of Martens’s visit it was a small township, but with a population of 267, but it was still the largest town on the Darling Downs. It was built on the Condamine River, though the river banks were subject to flooding. |
Warwick from the right bank of the “Condamine”, March 12th 1852 1852
17.8 x 29.9cm
Collection: Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales
The town was eventually moved further west to higher ground, as the river flats in the foreground are subject to flooding. Warwick is on the left bank of the river but was viewed by Martens from the right bank.
Print friendly version